Hope Farm Press 252 Main Street Saugerties NY 12477 845-246-3522
To see the map & a list of Ulster County Towns again . . .
or to RETURN to the Table of Contents.
In 1777 either he or his son of the same name began to run a scow ferry to Poughkeepsie, rowed by slaves. In 1793 came Noah Elting's periauger, a scow with sail and oars. In 1819, a horseteam ferryboat carried the covered wagons of the western emigrants.
The origin of Highland village as "Philip's Folly," a building enterprise of the original Philip Elting in the 1820s, has been often recounted. Shortly after this time Reuben Deyo's Halfway House became a famous stop on the stage-coach route, and place of resort for the neighbors. It is now the residence of Grace Van B. Roberts.
Highland was almost entirely destroyed by fire in March, 1891, in the business section, but soon rebuilt. Prominent industries there are the Hudson Valley Pure Foods Products and the Haviland Cold Storage Company.
A trolley road ran through it from the Landing to New Paltz from 1897 to 1926.
The town of Lloyd is known for its fine fruit farms, many of them now owned by Italians. Noted men and women of recent times are: Harcourt J. Pratt (1866-1934), prominent in fruit packaging, coal, lumber and grain industries, member of New York Assembly and United States Congress; Philip Schantz, treasurer of Ulster County for many years; John F. Wadlin, town supervisor with a long and honorable record; Philip Elting (see elsewhere); and Mrs. William Denby, an educator and active in arranging the very successful Apple Blossom Festivals. Warren G. Sherwood, a native of the Pang Yang neighborhood, is a gifted and enthusiastic student, writer and proponent of local history.
Each of these sections has many different books on Ulster
For ordering information, or to email your comments. . .
Copyright © 1995 by Richard Frisbie -- All rights reserved.